Rally for a Cure

Last week Wednesday, I was asked to speak at the "Rally for a Cure" golf event dinner at the WBCC. My mom was the co-chair of the event and it raised around $20,000 for breast cancer in one afternoon! Here we are in our pink apparel.


Since my little speech involves my family, I thought I'd pass it along (although keep in mind, I wrote this to be spoken, not to be read... and I know the punctuation is not proper). I am so proud to have healthy family and friends. I hope this remains!! :)


Good evening ladies. My name is Katie Evans, daughter of [my mom and dad’s names]. My parents, along with the [local family] are sponsoring dinner tonight, so I am honored to be here to talk about my experience with breast cancer. Reflecting upon what it has meant and what it continues to mean in my life is something that provides me with a profound awareness of life and love and how we should never ever take our health for granted.

So here are my facts… and I’m sure many of us are part of the same statistics. Everybody has a story with cancer and breast cancer specifically. My maternal grandmother died at age 36 of breast cancer leaving behind a husband and five kids. That grandmother’s daughter, my aunt, was diagnosed with stage three breast cancer a few years ago. As a single woman with a grown married son, she moved in with my parents for support. While my aunt remained extremely positive throughout her treatment, it was this network of support that helped get her through. We were there when she shaved her head, we were there when she was frustrated with nausea, we were there to make an excel spreadsheet to keep her prescriptions straight. Now, my grandma’s only other daughter, my mother had a double prophylactic mastectomy last year to prevent her from dealing with breast cancer. My mom is the co-chair today, but at last year’s Rally for a Cure, she was recovering from surgery. And now, I myself, at age 25 also experience breast health concerns. For the past nearly five years, I have been going to Froedert every six months for ultrasounds and checkups and last year had a large non-cancerous (luckily) mass removed from my breast along with many markers inserted for constant review.

Breast health is not something I take lightly. And as the soon to be mother of a little girl, I’d be remiss to say that I hope she doesn’t ever have to worry like the other women in my family. Needless to say, the web of cancer in our worldwide and local communities is massive – and mine is just an example of one side of the family, and one type of cancer. That being said, having cancer or having the risk for cancer is why we must be proactive and continue to support research for a cure. It’s why we’re rallying together today to raise funds and raise hope for all women – especially those who need it most. Whether it’s a survivor or someone currently undergoing treatment, support is needed. They might not ask for it, but every little bit of hope and positive energy and prayers sent the way of someone who needs it does not go unnoticed.

Breast cancer is not just about the pink ribbon – we are all aware of this disease. We don’t need the pink ribbon as a reminder of its toll on life… it should now serve as a reminder to act… whether it’s getting your mammogram, doing a self breast exam or supporting medical research.

Breast cancer is not a death sentence; it’s a sentence to live life – on purpose and with the courage to win. Not just to survive, but to thrive. To illuminate the good in life and to feel and internalize the joy of each and every day.

On behalf of my grandma, my aunt, my mother and myself… and my future daughter… and frankly on behalf of all other women and families who need support – thank you. Your generosity today and in the future is what makes the hope for a cure possible.

Thank you.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips