Luck

On Sunday's episode of 60 Minutes Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg was profiled. She discussed her new book Lean In and it struck a chord with me. If you haven't seen it you can read the transcript here. If you work, are a women (mother, married, single, no matter what), it's worth checking out. The book and interview has sparked much discussion over the past few days.

Many things resonated - like when she said "I want every little girl who someone says they're bossy to be told instead, 'You have leadership skills.'" So true.

I have my Master's in Organizational Leadership and Communication so I like this kind of thing. I could go on and on, but...

Here's the part I want to share. In Sandberg's opinion "Women attribute their success to working hard, luck, and help from other people. Men will attribute that-- whatever success they have, that same success, to their own core skills."

Do you agree? Hmmm. Interesting.

Then, on Monday I came across this. A Malcolm Gladwell-esque Graduation Speech by Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball and other works.

The entire speech is worth reading, but here's one excerpt:

"Life's outcomes, while not entirely random, have a huge amount of luck baked into them. Above all, recognize that if you have had success, you have also had luck — and with luck comes obligation. You owe a debt, and not just to your Gods. You owe a debt to the unlucky."

It's interesting how I randomly came across both of these unrelated pieces  but somehow they are connected. At least to me. I'd love to know what you think!

Remember too, that luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

via

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips